Monday, September 22, 2014

Fall Retreat '14


We are fresh off of returning from our Fall Retreat. Planning for this retreat was full of ups and downs as I felt God constantly giving me more and more for our students. This retreat began by planning on going to Charlotte. We were going to talk about 'Making Giants Fall' and go to Carowinds. Then, I felt God was directing me to take our teens to 'Silver Ring Thing' a purity conference in Lexington. All the flyers were out, prices were advertised and everyone was excited. 

Then, we got the news that Silver Ring Thing had been canceled. This really upset me, and shook for a little bit. I considered canceling Fall Retreat all together. I wanted to throw in the towel. I honestly didn't want to do anything at all. Then I realized the impact that these retreats have on our students. I knew I owed to God and to them to see where we were supposed to go. 

Over the next 2 days, as God poured into me, I poured into the keyboard. Searching for places to stay, things to do and busted out our entire retreat book. (I don't say this to pumped myself up, but to show just how awesome God is.) We ended up having 11 students go, and WOW was it awesome! 

I am continually floored at just how awesome our God is, how he works, and that he is willing to use a nobody like me to share His word. 

This Retreat God laid on my heart to speak to our teens about 'Dealing with Disappointment.' It seemed fitting, considering the changes in plans and I knew it was something our teens needed to hear. Our theme passage was Romans 5:3-5: "And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy spirit who was given to us."

We focused on 3 words to help us in dealing with disappointment: 
- Perseverance
- Character
- Hope

It is my hope that as I type this our students are sitting in classrooms with a refreshed spirit this morning. I know my heart is full after such a great weekend.

Shine On,
Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment